LGBT Information

Many of the issues faced by LBT survivors will be the same faced by others. However, we know that there are some specific issues faced by LGBT people. We are here to listen and support you. We welcome transgender women and men.

RAS welcomes women who are lesbian or bisexual, and all transgender people. Many of the issues faced by LGBT survivors will be the same faced by others. Sometimes LGBT survivors are told that their sexual orientation or gender identity is a direct result of the sexual violence that they have experienced. There is no evidence of a link between sexual violence and sexual orientation/gender identity.

Being raped because of your sexual orientation or gender identity is not only an act of sexual violence, but is also a hate crime and should be treated as such. Sexual violence as a form of homophobic hate crime can include so-called ‘corrective rape’ which aims to ‘cure’ women of their homosexuality/bisexuality/transgender identity. This can increase the sense of self-blame that many survivors feel, as a core part of your identity has been attacked. No one asks to be sexually assaulted, and the person who is responsible for rape is always the rapist. Workers at the RAS will be able you to work through all the different feelings that you may have.

Statistically, transgender people experience sexual violence at a disproportionate rate and may find support more difficult to access. At RAS, transgender women will receive the same level of support as other survivors, and transgender men and non-binary trans people will receive a service tailored to their needs. If there is anything that we need to do to help you to feel safe and supported in RAS, please let us know and we will try to make it happen.

Many LGBT people may be reluctant to report because of a fear of being discriminated against. The police have a duty under the Equality Act to not discriminate against people on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, and if you feel that you have been discriminated against then you have the right to make a complaint.

A worker at RAS can support you through the process of reporting if you feel this would be helpful to you. You could also make a third party report through the RAS or another agency, such as LGBT Youth or Gay Men’s Health. This means that you can anonymously pass on details about what happened to the police, and help them to gather information.

I’m a gay or bisexual man who has experienced sexual violence. Where can I get support?

There are services that offer support to men who have experienced sexual violence, the details of which are below.

Rape and Abuse Support: local number for Aberdeen: 01224 590932  // helpline: 01224 591342

Rape Crisis Scotland: helpline for male and female survivors: 08088 01 03 02

Gay Men’s Health: provides a counselling service to gay or bisexual men around any issue: 0141 552 0112


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s